What Is Public Housing?
Public housing is a federally-funded subsidized rental program for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. The US Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) distributes federal subsidies to the Housing Authority, which manages the housing for low-income residents at affordable rents. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing the public housing development.

Who Is Eligible?
Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. The Housing Authority determines your eligibility based on:
  1. Annual gross income within the HUD determined income guidelines;
  2. Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family;
  3. U. S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
In addition to the eligibility criteria, applicants must also meet the Housing Authority suitability criteria in order to be admitted to Public Housing. The applicant must not have a history of failure to pay rent, disturbance of neighbors, property destruction, criminal activities, or living/housekeeping habits at prior residences which may adversely affect the health, safety, or welfare of other tenants or contribute to the destruction of the property. The Housing Authority will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.

Income Limits: Total gross family income of applicants must not exceed the established income limits set by HUD as follows:

# in Family
1 --
2 --
3 --
4 --
5 --
6 --
7 --
8 --

Lower Income
80% of medium
How is Rent Determined?
Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your family's anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow housing authorities to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family or a person with a disability; and some unreimbursed medical deductions for families whose head, spouse, co-head, or sole member is an elderly person (62 years of age or older) or a person with a disabilities. Based on your application the Housing Authority representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older. The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:
  1. 30% of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted incomee is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);
  2. 10% of monthly income;
  3. Welfare rent, if applicable; or
  4. A $50 minimum rent.
Rent can be determined as:
  1. Income-based rent: Calculated based upon 30% of the household's monthly adjusted gross income, which includes some utilities; OR
  2. Flat rent; Rents established at no less than 80% of HUD published Fair Market Rents (FMR) for each bedroom size. Current flat rents are:
1 Bedroom - $400
2 Bedroom - $505 - $520

2 Bedroom - $540
3 Bedroom - $650
4 Bedroom - $700

How Do I Apply?
Applicants for Public Housing must complete an eligibility application, supply required supporting document. The Housing Authority will verify the information on the application, complete the screening process and background checks including income guidelines, citizenship, criminal record, credit, and housekeeping references checks.

Completed application must be returned with the following documentation: Social Security card AND State issued Birth Certificate with seal for each household member. Photo ID for each household member 18 years of age or older is also required.

You may apply during normal business hours by calling (712) 722-2237. All applications are processed and placed on a waiting list according to elderly/disabled or family status, date and time of application, and bedroom size. The length of the waiting list depends on the size of unit for which the family qualifies.

Once the family information is verified and the family is approved for the program, the Executive Director will contact the family to set up a date to view an available unit, if applicable. Upon acceptance of a unit, an applicant must enter into a lease agreement with the New Homestead. Once on the program, tenants will be re-certified at least annually. If the family has any changes in family composition or income, the family must contact the Housing Authority within 10 days of the change. The family must comply with all terms of the lease at all times. In addition to an annual inspection, there may be periodic inspections of the rental unit of which the tenant will be notified in advance.

Please contact our office for an application for public housing or print one from the link on our home page (Web Page Application).

Each household member over the age of 18 must complete and sign the following pages. Make the required number of copies needed for your household.
  1. Criminal Record Search Consent.
  2. State of Iowa (Non-Law Enforcement Record Check Request (Form A)

Is Public Housing Portable?
No. Public Housing Rental Assistance is not portable and does not transfer with you. This assistance is attached to the Public Housing unit rented to you and you will not have a voucher, as you would with the Section 8 Rental Assistance Program.

Can I Have Pets In Public Housing?
Pet policy available upon request.